Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Fear of the Lord (pt. 2)

Hi all, 
In my last post I ended telling you about kids camp- which was only for days of last week. After the kids left on Friday, teenagers ages 13-18 came for an adolecent camp. This was a really scary experience for me because I only knew 2 girls out of the 80 kids that were there, and even then I didn't really know them because they were pretty young. It was still a good experience for me, even though I felt very much alone. 
The theme for this camp was also the fear of the Lord, but we had a much deeper study. The main speaker (Orlando Bueno) did an excelent job teaching this group. To honestly have the fear of the Lord, we have to understand who He is. In the five teachings we had we learned that God is:
  • God is big (HUGE), and I am nothing. Here we studied how God sees all and knows all, His eyes wander the earth looking for the righteous. Does everything I do privately and publicly glorify God?
  • God is judge, I am guilty. David Easter gave this talk, and he gave the illustration of when His brakes went out while driving through Bogotá.... not a good thing. The Fear of the Lord is like the breaks of the Christian life: it's hard to live this life if we don't fear God. He also gave a tidbit of the gosple and showed how he is Consuming Fire; sending all those who reject His gift of life to an eternal suffering. 
  • God is holy like a fire. Here we talked about 7 specifics. 
    • The purpose of the law (Deut. 6:1-5): to Fear God and love the Lord. 
    • We also learned a little bit more about the Law. Read Leviticus 19 if you want to know what we talked about there.
    • The sin of A. & S. (Acts 5) What was their sin, and what happened to them?
    • The steps of sin (Joshua 7:21): You see, you covet, and you take. (James 1:13-15) It attracts us, it secuces us, we sin, and we die.  
    • Who do we look like? (Isaiah 8:13) Regard the Lord as Holy, he should be your fear, and your dread. "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil. Arrogance, pride, and the evil way; I hate." Proverbs 8:13.
    • Two types of sadness: of God and of the world (2 Cor. 7:10, Matt. 27)
    • And the Holiness of God. Acts 3:19 Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; 
  • The next lesson was on the Lord is Master. But something that I learned more was a "recipie"for the fear of the Lord:
    • You have to have a desire to follow God
    • A conviction of who you are in comparrison
    • And a fear of the Consuming Fire.
  • And lastly we learned that God is everything, and without Him I'm empty. 
Thank you all for keeping up with me,
I had a great time at camp and am looking forward to the rest of the summer. 
Sorry I don't have any more time to write. 
Thanks again
Christina

2 comments:

  1. Christina it looks like the campers were not the only ones learning last week! :) It is so exciting to see how God is working in you and through you as you serve Him this summer (winter) down in Colombia! Thanks again for serving Him in this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't thank me... thank God for making this all possible!

    ReplyDelete